Car Rental Guide
Car Rental GuideOn this page, we have gathered all the useful information about renting a car.
Here you can find the most common practices used in car rental.
Remember to also read our frequently asked questions!
Booking and driving
The easiest way to book is through our website or with our Avis APP. You can book a car wherever in the world you are. We are always ready to help you whenever you need something. You can also contact our reservation center +358 (0)10 436 2200.
We will send the booking confirmation to your email. You can also book through our reservation center or from a booking agency. We will not rent cars to anyone who has had their driving licence for under a year.
When you have received the car, we hope you will take good care of it. We advice you to take special care and be careful when you are driving. The person renting will be the sole driver unless agreed otherwise.
Why worry? We have you covered
We offer different type of insurances with the booking. The chosen insurance(s) will be charged from the given credit card. You can ask for more information on insurances from our customer service. Read more here!
- All rentals in Finland include basic cover that includes the excess amount from 1200€ to 4000€ euros depending on the car group
- Collision Damage Waiver means there is nothing to pay towards repairs
- Vehicle Theft Cover will cover the cost of replacing the vehicle
- Windscreen Cover removes the charge when windscreen needs to be changed
- Personal Accident Insurance covers the injuries to the driver and damage to personal effects
- Personal Effects Protection covers the personal items in thefts. The amount depends on the insurance terms.
- Loss Damage Waiver means there is nothing to pay towards repairs in USA, Australia, New Zealand, and South-America
- Additional Liability Insurance is available in USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Returning the car
You can return the hire car to the location that suits you the best. We will charge you for one-way rentals, and the charge will depend on the distance. You will have to return the car with a full tank, unless you have agreed otherwise on the contract. If you have paid for fuel up front or choose to pay when returning the car, you can return with an empty tank.
We have locations that allow you to return the hire car outside of the office hours. You can also print the receipt a day after the end of rental.
With a small extra charge, you can choose extras with your car. These extras are for example (all extras are visible when you are booking your car):
- Child seat
- Ski box
- Additional driver
In some cases there are additional charges. These are for example:
- Airport fee will be charged on most airports.
- VAT is included in most package deals in Europe.
- Local fees may apply in some countries. These can be for example road or vehicle taxes.
- Young driver fee will be charged in some countries when the driver is under 25 years old. Young driver fee will not be charged in Finland.
Driver's License and Booking Terms
The person hiring the car needs to have a valid driver's license. The driver's license must be at least one year old. In Western Europe, the Finnish driver's license is usually accepted, but there are certain Eastern Europe countries that would prefer international driver's license.
Taking the car outside of Finland is forbidden, unless there is a written permit. Using the car to illegal activities (towing, races etc.) is absolutely forbidden. If the renter doesn't follow these rules and something happens, the renter is fully responsible for the damage. Please read out rental terms and conditions before making the booking.
We follow the general terms and conditions of the Finnish Car Rental Association (SAL).
Payment and Managing the Booking
You can pay the hire with the most common credit cards: Visa, EuroCard, MasterCard and Amex. You can ensure the acceptable credit cards from our Avis-offices.
When you hire a car, you have to take your credit card and driver’s license with you. The credit card has to belong to the person renting the car. He who writes the lease, is also the payer. We will also charge a deposit that will be returned to your card after the reservation. The amount depends on the country.
Changing or cancelling a reservation is really simple. We can change the pick-up time before the scheduled rental time has begun. If the change concerns the rental duration or time, the price may change. You can also cancel the reservation before the pick-up.